Thursday, October 15, 2020

A slip of the tongue, a misunderstanding, and now we are looking at playing a time travel game!



Recently I started pondering the running of an historical based game, Napoleonic to be precise. In broaching this idea to my long term player, our conversation got a little skewed. as I also brought up the idea of running an anthology style C&S game, in which we would play quick one off games, exploring areas of the world that we have not made it to, and maybe even exploring past events. Well somehow these two separate game ideas (historical, and C&S) conflated into an overall 'real world' time travel game.

So I went to my RPG wall and found that I have a couple of time travel RPGs. First up is Savage Worlds Timezero. It is actually a module for the Savage system, and offers up a variety of ideas. The savage system is a nice universal game that could easily be used for gaming in any era. I do like the fluff in this product, it fits into a general plan for me.

Doctor Who, Adventures in time and space, is the other time travel game that I have. The fluff for this game does not entirely enthrall me. While I like the shows (for the most part), I do not wish to role play that universe. However, I do like the rule system in the game. It is simple, stat plus skill, +/- modifiers +2D6 vs a challenge target. It also strives to emulate the non violent nature of the Doctor, talking your way out of a situation happens before the shooting. I think it might well be the simplified game system that I would want to use for this type of game.

Call of Cthulhu is yet another option, as their gaming system is somewhat universal. However, what I plan to use CoC for is the various alien races that use time travel. So some mythos creatures will appear in the new time travel game.

As it stands, the game would use the Dr Who rules (and some beasties, but no Doctor), the world view of Timezero, and some of the weird stuff from CoC. Mixed in with this will be some other mysticism, some alien involvement, long lost civilizations, Silurians form the past/present, and creatures from the future. Finally, add a dash of X-files, yes that should do it.

There is one more horrible, but intriguing option, and that is to use a different rule set for each time period visited. The idea is that maybe I could finally play at least one adventure of every RPG system that I own. So back to the time of the three musketeers means we will play FLASHING BLADES. A trip to the 1920s would be CaALL OF CTHULHU, while a visit to 1930s San Francisco would see us use DAREDEVILS. There is a certain amount of madness, but it would fit my unfocused gaming life. 

Oh yes, almost forgot, I shall run this on Roll20!


 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment